Within Kentucky, motor vehicles (most often) are registered/renewed in the owner’s birth month. However, there are exceptions such as farm tags, commercial tags, personalize tags and certain specialty tags.
1. Registration Certificate (blue and white receipt) is required. If you do not have your registration certificate you can still renew your vehicle; however, there is a $3.00 charge to duplicate the receipt (pursuant to KRS 186.020 and KRS 186.120)
2. Proof of Insurance: insurance card must have NAIC# -no exceptions
3. Payment- taxes and registration fees, plus back taxes on any vehicle you own NOT just what you are licensing.
4. Renewal by mail is permitted; you must send items 1-3 and add $2.00 to your check for postage.
As a reminder, it is required (by Kentucky statute) that your vehicle registration certificate (or photocopy thereof) AND proof of insurance be carried in your motor vehicle at all times.
If your vehicle is currently insured with a company that has elected to provide information to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, then you might be eligible to renew your registration over the Internet. Please visit the Kentucky Vehicle Information website at https://mvl.ky.gov/MVLWeb/
– INTERNET RENEWALS ARE ONLY PERMITTED FOR REGULAR REGISTRATION. NO SPECIALTY PLATES CAN BE RENEWED ON THE INTERNET AT THIS TIME.
MAIL IN RENEWALS:
Send your personal check or money order, current registration certificate and proof of insurance to the address shown below. Please ADD $2.00 to the fees for each vehicle you are licensing to cover postage and handling. We will return to you by mail, your renewal plate and/or decal and a new registration certificate. If the registration has expired or you have delinquencies on this or other vehicles we cannot renew it by mail.
We hope you take advantage of this convenient, efficient approach to vehicle license renewal. This office continues to appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
Mail to: Danetta Ford Allen
Rockcastle County Clerk
205 E. Main Street, Box 6
Mt. Vernon, KY 40456